2. The laptop is mainly because I am going back to teaching in the fall. I'll be at a small private school teaching 8th grade science to a class of all boys and 9th grade math to a class of all girls. It will be my first time in a split gender school (although once I did inadvertently have a class of all boys) and my first time teaching below the high school level. I'm looking forward to the challenges, but am a bit nervous simply because of all the unknowns. I start next week, so I won't have to wonder about the unknowns for much longer!
3. So what have we been up to all summer? We started the summer with my cousin's wedding. It was in Chicago, so just a day trip for us. Upon return from the wedding, my parents stopped by our house to take Blaise back with them to Pittsburgh for a few days alone with the Grandparents! The rest of us joined them soon after. John went to a conference and the kids and I had fun with Grandpa, Grandma, and Uncle Erik.
4. We went on our first camping trip as a family this summer, for one night to a campground just south of us. We loved the short drive, the nature center, and the warm man-made lake. We disliked the RV's and electricity all around us! It was a good learning experience and we're hoping to squeeze in one last camping trip and a more primitive location before the weather turns cold.
5. In July, we took our big summer vacation to Chincoteague, VA. It was a family reunion with my mom's side of the family. The 12 hour drive was painful because we went through the night and Lucy spent most of the time crying. Thankfully we had my Aunt in the car with us to help manage the chaos! The 5 days at the beach were full of adventure. We went swimming and hiking, climbed up a lighthouse and played in the sand on both the ocean and cove side. The kids preferred the cove which they called the "little waves".
6. In the midst of our travels, John has been busy working two jobs this summer at Notre Dame as well as working on the many house projects we wanted to tackle! While our list of projects didn't get completely done, we do now have an over-the-range microwave, a beadboard backsplash, new shelves, a freshly painted kitchen and board and batten in the mud room! We're still hoping to paint the living room and have a half-bath installed in our basement.