This week is a very busy one for us because John is heading off to Boston to present a paper at an academic conference! This will be his first ever conference presentation, so it is really exciting! My parents will be staying with me and the kids to help in John's absence. Because of all this, we won't be celebrating any feast days, but we do have John's birthday on Monday! Thanksgiving week will be even crazier, so I think this will be my last meal plan post until December! So here goes:
Wednesday: Chicken Stir-fry
Thursday: Baked Potatoes
Friday: Veggie Pasta
This week's recipe is for Veggie Pasta. It is a modification of a recipe for Spaghetti al Pomodoro from The Classic Pasta Cookbook. We love this cookbook and it is the only one we use other than Joy of Cooking.
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup finely diced carrots
3/4 cup finely diced celery
1-28oz can whole tomatoes with their juice
1 pound spaghetti
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
2. Stir in the onion and cook until it has softened.
3. Add the carrots and celery and cook until they soften
4. Coarsely chop the tomatoes. Then add the tomatoes with the juice to the pan. Season with salt.
5. Cook about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally
6. While sauce is cooking, boil water and then cook the spaghetti.
7. Drain spaghetti and then return to the pot. Add sauce and toss!